About my blog

New depth sensors such as the one embedded in the MS Kinect system work in real-time, enabling to create an instant 3D scan of objects. In this project, we are exploring a large-scale installation that demonstrates this by a 400+ array of motors and LEDS. This work includes interaction design, hard-coding and lots of soldering etc. The result will be put on exhibit on various international shows.(Expert: Jouke Verlinden)




De meningen ge-uit door medewerkers en studenten van de TU Delft en de commentaren die zijn gegeven reflecteren niet perse de mening(en) van de TU Delft. De TU Delft is dan ook niet verantwoordelijk voor de inhoud van hetgeen op de TU Delft weblogs zichtbaar is. Wel vindt de TU Delft het belangrijk - en ook waarde toevoegend - dat medewerkers en studenten op deze, door de TU Delft gefaciliteerde, omgeving hun mening kunnen geven.

Project Evaluation

We all chose this minor because we like to build
things or want to learn more about how to build things and that’s exactly what
we did at this assignment.  We were lucky
we had a good team, everyone had different skills and we could fill each other
gaps and necessities.  From the start we
could easily understand each other and make a good planning for the project. After
the first week we have analysed the problem we divided the work, but in the end
we can say that everyone  did a bit of
everything.  From the start we knew we
will get busy creating the frame for a big scale kinetic mirror of 400 pixels
and also make a better version of light diffusers. That was it. It would have
been nice if we also learned some more about the programming as well. We thought
that we could do some research with the software and mechanics of the actual
prototype of 16 pixels but we were just too busy building frame prototypes. The
process was very simple, we start with making a program of requirements
(forces, weights, design) than conceptualisation and finally making a
prototype. We could not get to building the real one but were not ready to make
it either. We learned while making the frame mock-ups that always something
goes wrong and that we have to do a lot of trial and error mistakes to get
nearly to something that looks like your design.  In this project we learned to use new
machines like the thermoforming machine. 

this was a fun and instructive project to do. We were able to actually face
real-life problems and bring our imagination to the real world making something
that will be used international.  We are
very pleased with our learning’s and achievements during this project and hoop
to have the chance to build the real frame in a near future.


Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

© 2011 TU Delft